Academics at St. Thomas More School
St. Thomas More School has high standards of academic achievement for all students, and the results of our standardized achievement tests indicate that our students flourish in our academic environment. The exemplary achievement of our students is influenced by the following characteristics of our school and our program:
- We care about the success of all students and we use information technology and learning support resources to insure that all students achieve our performance standards.
- We provide a strong foundation for basic skills development and, at the same time, many opportunities to do creative problem-solving activities that enrich students’ learning and develop conceptual understanding.
- We continuously analyze student performance to evaluate and improve our curriculum, our teaching, and our learning activities.
- Our parents and the St. Thomas More community work with the school in a partnership to reinforce our educational efforts.
Our school is organized to serve the student and educational program needs at different grade levels. Kindergarten and first grade are located in the Primary Learning Center. Grades two through six are located in the main building, and grade level classes are grouped together. Grades seven and eight are also located in the main building, but they have a separate wing so that they can operate in a middle school environment. The following details provide a more complete perspective of our school organization.
- We are organized to have three or four full-day kindergarten programs with a maximum enrollment of 20 in each class.
- Grades two through eight have three homerooms in each grade with a maximum enrollment of 26 for each homeroom.
Our academic program follows Diocese of Allentown curriculum guidelines and our instructional activities are enhanced by our commitment to the highest standards of student performance. Our commitment is demonstrated by the following curriculum and instruction activities.
- Our reading and language arts program emphasizes both skills development and application of skills in analyzing literature, researching, and writing for a comprehensive variety of purposes.
- Our mathematics program emphasizes skills, problem solving and conceptual understanding. Students in grades five and six receive seven periods of mathematics instruction each week so that they are better prepared for Algebra. Students take pre Algebra in seventh grade and Algebra 1 in eighth grade.
- Students take three periods of Spanish each week in seventh and eighth grade. In these two years, students complete the equivalent of first year Spanish.
- A Instructional Support team leader and Instructional Support teachers serve every grade level. Our goal is to provide the enrichment or Instructional Support that every student requires to achieve our academic performance standards.
- Counselors and student advisors work with the Instructional Support team, teachers, and parents to enhance a child’s school experience.
- We have a full-time coordinator of educational technology who works with teachers to use our information technology resources to achieve our instructional goals.