St. Thomas More has a comprehensive instructional support program that provides both enrichment and support activities. Our instructional support team uses a variety of student assessments to determine needs and plan intervention strategies. Each year we conduct a comprehensive analysis of the IOWA results to indentify students whose performance indicates that they may be in need of instructional support. Based on the IOWA results on this analysis, our instructional support teachers can provide a variety of instructional support activities in concert with the classroom teachers and the students’ parents.
The goal of our instructional support team is to provide the necessary interventions, strategies, and challenges so that each student has the opportunity to become the best version of himself/herself at STM.
Our team works collaboratively with administrators and teachers to “level the playing field” for all students. We treat each student as an individual and work hard to accommodate and challenge all individuals here at STM always keeping mind that…
Fair does not mean treating every student exactly the same.
Fair means providing each student with what that student needs to have a chance to succeed and excel.
Instructional Support Team members provide the following support to individual students:
- Specifically teaching skills needed in the class (e.g. summarizing, writing, problem solving, organizing, and managing time to navigate course load.)
- Assisting students in establishing an experiential base for new content when they are beginning a unit
- Helping students review and extend prior learning and knowledge. If necessary, securing supplemental resources like videos, magazines, books, etc.
- Providing extended practice and review to ensure that students achieve mastery of key concepts and relevant skills
- Providing targeted, short-term support to specific students in an alternative environment
- Providing individualized, long-term support to specific students in an alternative environment
Enrichment and Advancement Programs: Grades K-8
Our Enrichment Program, in grades K-4, at STM is highly individualized. We use multiple criteria including: IOWA cognitive tests, IOWA achievement scores, classroom grades and teacher recommendations to identify students who demonstrate the greatest need for enrichment.
Our vision is to provide the student with the opportunity to expand on the curriculum already established for his/her grade. We do this using a variety of methods including, Compass Learning, First in Math, small group instruction, independent learning, and seminar. The method used is determined by the student’s unique academic talents.
We also have an advanced math program for students with exceptional mathematical aptitude in grades five through eight. Students are selected for the program based on achievement criteria and demonstration of a precocious math aptitude. Students in this program complete Algebra II, Honors in eighth grade.
Possible exemption from the established general classroom requirements will be determined on an individual and unit by unit basis. The student will be required to demonstrate exemplary knowledge of the grade level curriculum guidelines.